Dining Desperado-The Good, The Bad and the YUMMY

Conquering the country one bite at a time. There are no foods I actually dislike, just foods I prefer. Bread, nuts, cheese, and dessert, are on the supremely awesome list.

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Ethiopia...down and dirty with no silverware


So it has been quite some time since I "crazy" dined. I figured I was way overdue to get my KC dining on. So I decided to hit up Ethiopian, on 39th St (is there anywhere else?). I dragged Sam along, like I have done the past few times. He has been quite nice, putting up with all of my madness. We walked up to Addis Abba ba. The host-waiter greeted us and I'm going to go ahead and say that he was from Ethiopia...and he sensed that we were not. What gave me away? Perhaps my jean shorts...blast, hoisted by my own baton! Sam decided to start with a Guava drink. Ah...smart move sam...well played. I thought it sounded good but an overwhelming coconut drink I had from the Dosa man in NY held me back.



So here is Sam's drink. Sideways, but no less lucious. It was thinker than an orange juice...but smooth with a nice lingering guava taste.

I decided to get a vegtable platter-cabbage, potatoes, greens, and a few other things thrown in the mix. Sam got beef, and I quote "tibbs". I laughed at this for quite a while. It's like when you go to IHOP and they make you say "I would like the rooty tooty fresh and fruity" and they won't give it to you unless you SAY IT ALL. So on to the food. The "bread" was like an unfinished pancake. It was simaltaneously bland....and flavorful. I kept trying to isolate the flavor but I couldn't compare it to anything. So I will have to just say that it is a fine vehicle for Ethiopian food for now..in its spongy and unleavened glory. The potatoes and cabbage were neon yellow, covered in a great curry flavor that was reminicent of indian spices. Next to that there were beans flavored with cardamom: it was like eating turkish coffee...so much cardamom! All in all it was quite a nice deviation from my french-Italian repertoire. I can't decide if I like the idea of having one fixed factor (i.e. the spongy bread) in every bite, but I would eat it again fo sho.

3 Comments:

Blogger Robyn said...

Oh my god, dude, we're still twins..

Guess what I ate today? GUESS?

ETHIOPIAN FOOD. Second time this year. Jebus! Weird timing we've got.

Anyhoo, BLOG MORE!!!

9:16 PM  
Blogger The Mona Pizza said...

grrrrl update. i miss reading your dining adventures

9:47 PM  
Blogger alex said...

But--er--my dear lady, need we go as far as that? Cannot this affair be settled--er--out of court? Could not this--er--individual--be admonished--told that he must give satisfaction--personal satisfaction--for his dastardly conduct--to --er--near relative--or even valued personal friend? The--er--arrangements necessary http://www.jouqoech.info/?search=scherenhubwagen for that purpose I myself would undertake.. This will then be followed by irregular motor manifestations until one of these withdraws the apparatus from perception and at the same time from pain, but on the reappearance of the perception this manifestation will immediately repeat itself (perhaps as http://www.jouqoech.info/?search=hamburg+open+air+festival a movement of flight) until the perception has again disappeared...

1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home